Re: [opensuse] display managers, startx
On 11/5/18 12:11 AM, Michael Fischer wrote:
On Mon, Nov 05, Bernhard Voelker wrote:
I'm using openbox since many years. I'm having the following in
my .xinitrc right before the final exec:

(
sleep 3 # allow openbox to start before the following.
xsetroot -solid black
gkrellm -w &
root-tail -g 1000x400+100+50 -font fixed /var/log/firewall,red,'ALERT '
/var/log/messages,green &
setxkbmap -layout us,de -variant ,nodeadkeys -option
grp:rwin_toggle,grp_led:scroll
) &

I guess I should take that as an implicit: "Yes, ~/.xinitrc is executed
by the display manager." :)

yes, obviously. ;-)

Are you doing the sleep because those are commands (minus the setxkbmap)
which need the WM fully up to display properly?

AFAIR, I did it because I want to have gkrellm "withdrawn" (-w option),
i.e., openbox puts it into the 'dock' area.

Yeah, Openbox is good. If they had a solid pager of their own, I'd consider it
for its more "regular" conf files (compared to fvwm).

I don't know exactly what you mean with 'solid pager', but there are a few
sibling projects - maybe one of them has it?

Have a nice day,
Berny