Re: [opensuse] display managers, startx
  • From: Michael Fischer <michael@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2018 18:11:16 -0500
On Mon, Nov 05, Bernhard Voelker wrote:
On 11/4/18 6:17 PM, Michael Fischer wrote:
2) I have various xset, xrdb and other commands in my ~/.xinitrc prior to
the exec of the windowmanager. In the display manager scenario, are these
still run? If not, what is the recommended way to have them executed?

I wonder if this is the right idea?

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/47359/what-is-xsession-for

and moving the commands from ~/.xinitrc to ~/.xsession? I suppose the
exact spot is DM-dependent?

FWIW, I use fvwm2, specified in ~/.xinitrc:

```
export WINDOMANAGER=/usr/bin/fvwm
various xset, xrdb, etc.. commands
exec $WINDOWMANAGER ${1+"$@"}
```

I'm using openbox since many years. I'm having the following in
my .xinitrc right before the final exec:

(
sleep 3 # allow openbox to start before the following.
xsetroot -solid black
gkrellm -w &
root-tail -g 1000x400+100+50 -font fixed /var/log/firewall,red,'ALERT '
/var/log/messages,green &
setxkbmap -layout us,de -variant ,nodeadkeys -option
grp:rwin_toggle,grp_led:scroll
) &

Have a nice day,
Berny

Hi Berny,

I guess I should take that as an implicit: "Yes, ~/.xinitrc is executed
by the display manager." :)

Are you doing the sleep because those are commands (minus the setxkbmap)
which need the WM fully up to display properly?

Yeah, Openbox is good. If they had a solid pager of their own, I'd consider it
for its more "regular" conf files (compared to fvwm).

Michael
--
Michael Fischer
michael@xxxxxxxx