[opensuse] display managers, startx
  • From: Michael Fischer <michael@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2018 12:17:24 -0500

I may have missed the story, and google didn't help (perhaps I used
the wrong incantation)

Questions:

1) Is the *only* reason for deprecating `startx(1)` the setuid bit requirement?
If not, what are the other reasons?

2) I have various xset, xrdb and other commands in my ~/.xinitrc prior to
the exec of the windowmanager. In the display manager scenario, are these
still run? If not, what is the recommended way to have them executed?

I wonder if this is the right idea?

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/47359/what-is-xsession-for

and moving the commands from ~/.xinitrc to ~/.xsession? I suppose the
exact spot is DM-dependent?

FWIW, I use fvwm2, specified in ~/.xinitrc:

```
export WINDOMANAGER=/usr/bin/fvwm
various xset, xrdb, etc.. commands
exec $WINDOWMANAGER ${1+"$@"}
```

3) If I want to swap LightDM for SDDM, what is the recommended procedure?

TIA.

Michael
--
Michael Fischer