Re: [opensuse] no X after switch to EFI boot / NVIDIA
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2018 14:39:48 +0100 (CET)

On Friday, 2018-11-02 at 15:22 +0100, Paul Neuwirth wrote:

Hello,
sorry I could not do much recherche.. It's hard without X.
Maybe someone has a clue, why Xorg does not launch after switch from BIOS
boot to EFI boot.. Thank you for any hint.. maybe it's also obvious for
someone...

just managed to boot using legacy bios... same problem... It may be related to a recent update..

Ah.

I was going to say that it might be a firmware (EFI) bug, thus try to update it. But if going back to bios did not solve things, then no.

First symptom, I have a different console font (I did never use kms
before..). I tried to enable or disable modesetting (nomodeset /
drm-nvidia.modesetting=0)..
There are two nvidia cards installed.. maybe it is a resource conflict,
that did not appear at BIOS boot. Maybe I have some incompatible packages
installed...

rpm -qa | grep -iE "nv-|nvidia|nouv"

If you did some updates before the problem, try to undo them.

I try not to never update the nvidia drivers since the system install day.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.