Re: [opensuse] Login weirdness
  • From: Michael Fischer <michael@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2018 11:07:59 -0400
On Wed, Oct 31, Carlos E. R. wrote:
On 31/10/2018 11.52, Anton Aylward wrote:
On 30/10/18 06:22 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
If the disk is really bad, nothing will help except replacing the disk.
In fact, trying to reinstall can be a terrible idea.

Therefore determining the reliability of the disk is a key step.

I always keep a rescue CD around; actually I also keep a couple of
generations
of Knoppix CDs around as well as Knoppix seems able to boot when other CDs
fail.

<http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/leap/15.0/live/openSUSE-Leap-15.0-Rescue-CD-x86_64-Current.iso>

It is more familiar.
If installed on a stick, zypper works and tools can be added.

I grabbed that last night (notes from a previous Carlos post!)
Need to buy usb sticks today

There are a number of tools for determining disk quality & reliability and
they
have appeared in other threads and can be found by googling.

smartctl in this case.

Any particular suggestions with this one? Anything which can be run
from the NOT-rescue disk?

TIA

Michael
--