Re: [opensuse] Re: already MS is tracking you via google for github.com
On 10/31/2018 04:28 PM, L A Walsh wrote:
    No.  The site did not require me to have a user ID, let alone be logged
in on one in order to download source or binaries of an "open source" project.

    I don't like "logging in" on sites -- especially now that most of them
perform time-wasting checks to see if I am a human. It is also the case
that Google continues to arbitrarily increase the the complexity of such
checks,
including using state-of-the-art encryption that non-Google and
non-auto-update
browsers are unlikely to have.

    AFAIK, there is no requirement one must be "human" in order to benefit
from software being open-source, nor that one submit to daily "auto-updates"
of approved software before you are allowed to access the web (or open-source
downloads).

Oh, that is new. I have a couple of projects there so I've always been logged
in and hadn't noticed any change. None from the outside either, pushing
changes or checking out repos.

Do they require a login simply to do a shallow clone or to receive a release
(package in either .zip or bz2)? I don't think that is changed either because
a lot of software packaging depends on pulling tarballs from github and there
are no accounts involved there.

So if I understand what you are saying then, there is a new login requirement
when you just want to view and save, for example, a single source from a
project?

If that is the case, I do think that is new. I'll have to try from another
computer that doesn't automatically log me in and see how it goes.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.