Re: [opensuse] Re: What would be the proper command to swtich off wlan?
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2018 18:28:55 +0200
James Knott wrote:

On 08/26/2018 04:19 AM, Per Jessen wrote:
Regardless, if the broadcasts are IP then they follow it IP rules.
This includes the router function built into Linux.  It looks at the
interface metrics and sends it out via the lowest.  Applications
don't normally work directly with the interfaces.  They provide the
data and IP address and leave it to the OS to do the rest.
When it isn't configured, how does an application know which IP
addresses to use? You do a getifaddrs() and get all interfaces and
their broadcast addresses. There is little or no routing involved.

I'm currently running a test.  At the moment, both Ethernet & WiFi are
connected and I'm watching for Ethernet broadcasts.  I see the NetBIOS
stuff from both IPs, but only the Ethernet MAC, when watching on the
Ethernet port.  I don't see anything on WiFi.

Sorry, I had not taken into account that the interfaces would be on the
same network. Then yes, routing metrics will take of outgoing
messages. You will still _receive_ duplicate broadcasts though, from
cupsd for instance.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (19.4°C)
http://www.cloudsuisse.com/ - your owncloud, hosted in Switzerland.