Re: [opensuse] Re: What would be the proper command to swtich off wlan?
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2018 19:15:30 +0200
James Knott wrote:

On 08/25/2018 09:07 AM, Per Jessen wrote:
Fire up Wireshark and see what's actually happening.  I have
verified in experiment that the metric works, but also when
something is sent to the wlan interface, it actually goes there, as
expected, but the return traffic goes out on Ethernet.  Again, this
is expected, as Linux supports routing and is doing what it's
supposed to.
Sorry, I have no time to investigate it now, I'm going. The
important thing is that the two interfaces are seen, even if one is
handling almost all the traffic.
Aren't we talkaing about broadcast traffic anyway? It'll go out over
all interfaces, I would think.

It's still IP and it follows the metric.  When both Ethernet and WiFi
are connected to the same network, Ethernet will be used because of
the lower metric.  Nothing should be going out of the WiFi.

It's a little hypothetical for me, but if I wrote an app to broadcast
<something> I would default to using all available interfaces. Never
mind any routing.

Again, fire up Wireshark and see what happens.

Yep, agree.

In my experiment, I had my notebook connected via both Ethernet and
WiFi and tried pinging it from my desktop system.  The ping requests
would go to the appropriate interface, but responses always came back
via Ethernet, even though they showed the WiFi IP address.  Pinging
the desktop always used the Ethernet port, not WiFi.

pinging isn't broadcast through. Or did you try that too? Ping the
broadcast address of all available interfaces.

Regardless, I get the impression he's trying to fix the symptoms,
rather than the root cause.

+1

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (13.7°C)