Re: [opensuse] install leap 15.0 in 10Gb
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2018 18:30:14 +0200
Anton Aylward wrote:

On 2018-08-25 8:48 a.m., Per Jessen wrote:
Anton Aylward wrote:

Now as I and others have commented the point of IMAp is that you
shouldn't have needed to download the messages in the first place.
if you intended them to be downloaded to a single device then you'd
use
POP. But if you planned to read your (remote) mailbox using
multiple devices (aka phone/tablet) then you want them left on the
IMAP server. It seems TB can *also* download a *copy*.

Yes, I believe this copy is 1) for use in off-line mode and 2) for
faster indexing/searching.

Well to those of us that have the capability to be on-line with not
just TB/PC but with a variety of portable devices - phone, tablet -
all the time, and that's why we're using IMAP rather than POP, this is
a bit irrelevant.

Yes and no - faster searching is a Good Thing(r) and it takes the load
off the server.

if you want to download for reading all your stuff off-line and to
search everything, then fine: use POP.

I have to disagree. Using IMAP in that situation is perfectly valid.
Especially when you want to use multiple devices. Judging by my logs,
most people use a desktop and a smartphone. Some also a tablet and
some also webmail.

I just wish that my email tools could draw on the capabilities of
dovecot's indexing and search capabilities better.

It doesn't work for you / your TB ? Which indexing engine do you use in
dovecot? (just being curious).

The only thing that does, it seems, is Basil's suggestion that you
delete the whole TB account.

After disabling sync, I tried deleting an individual mailbox, that
worked fine.

What do you mean by "an individual mailbox"

If you look at your TB directory "ImapMail", and pick one of the
accounts, you'll see mailbox files - "INBOX", "Sent", "Trash" etc. Some
maybe with subfolders. There is e.g.

INBOX = the mailbox
INBOX.msf = TB index
INBOX.sbd = directory with subfolders.

Do you mean the whole account?

Nope. That's the whole point.

Do you mean all the message in INBOX?

For instance, yes.

What does "worked fine" mean?

That the mailbox was not re-created, that I could still read the emails
(now served to me by IMAP), in essence that everything worked fine
without a mailbox file.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (14.4°C)