Re: [opensuse] Re: What would be the proper command to swtich off wlan?
On 2018-08-24 16:34, James Knott wrote:
On 08/24/2018 04:30 AM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
How can I stop the wlan, so that NM doesn't reactivate it again?

In the network manager settings, on the General configuration tab,
there's a check box to automatically connect when available.  Why not
turn that off and just click on the WiFi connection when needed?

It is handy when not at home. And at home, some days I use one or the other.

Also, I was considering using it on a script.

Also, what sort of problems are you having?  WiFi has a higher metric
than Ethernet, so it won't normally be used, when connected to the same
network.

See my nmb thread today, for instance. nmb did see both interfaces.

Then, I have a nm triggered script that edits hosts file to add an entry
there with the current (local network) IP. So, I get the file written
first with the eth0 IP, then overwritten with the wlan0 ip - which is
the wrong one when eth is active. When nm goes out, it writes:

#nm-mine-placemarker
127.0.0.1 Legolas.valinor Legolas

which now is not correct. So, just this instant I do:

Legolas:~ # rcnetwork restart
Legolas:~ #

and hosts is automatically changed to:

#nm-mine-placemarker
192.168.1.127 Legolas.valinor Legolas

which is what I want there this moment :-)

(I created that script with some help from here, IIRC)

Now, you will ask: why do you do that? :-)

Well, because postfix demands the correct IP there, and baulks with
"localhost 127.0.0.1. There is a bugzilla on that, no real solution
from either suse or postfix people. Both do what they do intentionally.

Yes, before you ask, I use postfix on a laptop. Dovecot is also happy
this way :-)

(I have explained this more than once ;-) )

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.