Re: [opensuse] Leap-15.0: how to switch to single user mode?
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2018 10:42:29 +0200
Per Jessen wrote:

Josef Wolf wrote:

On Wed, Aug 22, 2018 at 06:28:10PM +0200, Per Jessen wrote:
- Switching to single user from a different runlevel (e.g. from RL
5) does NOT work, no matter whether I am logged into some terminal
or not or whether I am logged into the graphic environment.

The latter sounds like worth writing a bug report on.

Before writing a bug, I'd like to try trace down the problem. At
least to gather some information to help the developers tracking down
the problem.

Any hints?

Enable systemd debug mode, that ought to log plenty of information.

https://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/Debugging/

I would also take a look at man systemd.special for description of
rescue and emergency targets.

Maybe try a serial console to see if a getty is left running there.

I'll try out the rescue.target myself, on a desktop and let you know
what I see.

On Leap15, from a konsole window under Plasma I issued "systemctl
isolate rescue.target".

I was given a console with "You are in rescue mode ... ... give root
password for maintenance". Keyboard appears dead, does not respond to
anything, password, Ctrl-D, Alt-Fx, ctrl-alt-delete. Mouse cursor is
present and mobile. The only way out was sysrq-B.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (22.6°C)