Re: [opensuse] Re: I can no longer join IRC (including the opensuse channel)
On 2018-08-22 23:55, L A Walsh wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:

And then they insist I should "repair or replace" my router, because
they say it is vulnerable and can be used as a proxy and that I will be
held responsible.
---
    You will be held responsible?

Ha, yes, sure. :-p

But re your issue, why do you need a router when you have a linux box?
You need a modem, sure, but can't your linux box do everything the modem
does, but w/o the modem's config problems?

No, not possible.

The router controls or provides inet service, television via IP, and
possibly, voice over IP.

The problem is, the configuration needed is not published and can change
anytime. They (Telefónica) remotely manage the router, so doing it
myself would be a huge pain. A time that I do not want to spend on that.

I could buy a suitable router and replace theirs, which is a huge pain
due to the above. To replace with a Linux computer would be horrible
huge pain, so no, not going to do it :-)

Where does 'ssh' come in?  I admit to being very ignorant when it comes
to routers....have always used a modem connected to my computer, and
routing?  ... if it wasn't a local address, send it out the modem!...

For configuration. In this case, it is the from internet, not from the
house. It is possible that they (Telefonica) use it.

Meanwhile, I have opened a ticket with my ISP. It is their property. The
only thing I can do.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.