Re: [opensuse] Set host/domain-name during install?
22.08.2018 18:19, Per Jessen пишет:
Carlos E. R. wrote:

On 2018-08-22 14:19, Per Jessen wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:

On 2018-08-22 01:26, Josef Wolf wrote:
Hello,

old opensuse versions used to have a possibility to set hostname
and dns name during install.

In Leap-15, there seems no longer to be such a possibility.
Instead, some random host name is used.

Why ist it no longer possible to set hostname during install and
what is the way to set it?

If the network has DHCP and the install system sees it, no network
configuration will be asked. If there is no DHCP, then the install
system will ask. And this is intentional.

That's a good explanation. Makes sense.

Is this intention documented anywhere? Reference to documentation?
Release notes?

I do not know if this configuration will be passed to the installed
system.

The dhcp config? yes, that is passed to the finished system.

No, the manual configuration.

Yep, that is also copied.

Maybe removing the ethernet cable would force the install system to
prompt.

Could be a problem for a network ihstall :-)

If installer does not get DHCP response, it goes into manual mode and
shows usual networking dialog. I could not find any way to force manual
mode though. It is possible to force network configuration in linuxrc
(before GUI is started), but that is different. Otherwise whatever
parameter I provide it will still go without asking for network
configuration. In particular, providing hostname did not change anything.

Note that network configuration is restricted - you cannot switch
between NetworkManager and wicked, it will always setup wicked as far as
I can tell. So it is still not equal to what was available in the past.

SLES offers network configuration button on registration page, early
during installation. This of course is not present in openSUSE.