Re: [opensuse] Leap-15.0: how to switch to single user mode?
On Wed, Aug 22, 2018 at 10:13:34AM -0400, Mark Hounschell wrote:
* Mark Hounschell <markh@xxxxxxxxxx> [08-22-18 09:58]:
* Mark Hounschell <markh@xxxxxxxxxx> [08-22-18 08:49]:
On 08/22/2018 07:19 AM, Josef Wolf wrote:
Hello,

if i give the command "telinit s" (on VT1 of course) the screen is
blanked and
only a cursor blinks at the top left corder.

If I use CTL-ATL-F1 to switch to VT1 again, I see the last contents of
that
VT1. The last command I gave (the "telinit s") just hangs. I'd expect
either a
root shell or a prpmopt to type the root password to get a shell.

What gives? How can I switch to single user mode?

#init s

Works just fine here on 15.0.

but the problem appears to be the different approach, "booting" to init
(1|S)/runlevel 1/telnet (1|S) and "changing to" init (1|S)/runlevel
1/telnet (1|S)

and your results fail to mention your path.

#init s implies changing from a runlevel other than s to s. In this case
runlevel-5 to single user. Booting to single user mode by appending the
command line with an "s" works fine here also though.

and I agree with the "implication", just not how it is achieved, ie: from
a running system (change to) or from a "dead" system (boot up).

The pound sign in front of the "init s" certainly implies NOT at the boot
prompt. In any case I've never tried the "s" as a capitol "S" or "1" on
15.0. In the past I remember there being a difference between "1" and "s". I
seem to remember using "1" from the boot prompt, came up basically as "s"
except the file systems were mounted. Don't know about "S" back then either.

Just to clarify:

- Booting into single mode via kernel command line works fine. But that's not
what I want.

- Switching to single user from a different runlevel (e.g. from RL 5) does NOT
work, no matter whether I am logged into some terminal or not or whether I
am logged into the graphic environment.

--
Josef Wolf
jw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx