Re: [opensuse] Leap-15.0: how to switch to single user mode?
On Wed, Aug 22, 2018 at 01:44:23PM +0200, Richard Brown wrote:
if i give the command "telinit s" (on VT1 of course) the screen is
blanked and
only a cursor blinks at the top left corder.

If I use CTL-ATL-F1 to switch to VT1 again, I see the last contents of
that
VT1. The last command I gave (the "telinit s") just hangs. I'd expect
either a
root shell or a prpmopt to type the root password to get a shell.

What gives? How can I switch to single user mode?

Maybe "init S".

From the man-pages, I'd expect exactly the same behavior as from "telinit s"
or even from "telinit 1".

I just tried it once more: "init S" simply hangs, too.

The correct command in this modern era is

systemctl isolate rescue.target

Thanks, I'll try it.

But, Ummm... Why won't "init s" fall back to this modern style? And why won't
it tell anything about the modern times? Just killing all existing process
groups and hanging is surely not a proper behavior!

--
Josef Wolf
jw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx