Re: [opensuse] Fax vulnerability
On 08/17/2018 02:35 PM, Bruce Ferrell wrote:
Yea, the customer premises stuff like the Adtran and similar drop and
insert mux gear could do that... but that connects to the customer
side of the end office switch same as a IP (or any)  PBX does.  I know
for fact the CO switches I worked on checked to assure what came from
those installations was "correct", not just whatever the site tech
wanted to set... It was a part of the provisioning setup.  If it
wasn't per the provisioning, no calls went through. People got unhappy
about that.

As I mentioned, caller ID content could be configured on the
multiplexer.  Now as far as the actual number used by a device, that's
another matter.

As mentioned by someone else, the FAX ID is also user configurable.
This FAX ID and caller ID are the only things that are noticed by
users.  If someone looks at their phone and sees a recognizable name or
number, why would they dispute it?  Same with the FAX ID printed on the
received copy.  By comparison, when I get an email telling me to click
on a link, I hover the mouse pointer over the URL, to see what it
actually is, before clicking.  Many people don't.