Re: [opensuse] Fax vulnerability
  • From: Mathias Homann <Mathias.Homann@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2018 18:19:57 +0200
Am Donnerstag, 16. August 2018, 18:05:04 CEST schrieb Marcus Meissner:
Hi,

On Thu, Aug 16, 2018 at 11:34:16AM -0400, ken wrote:
It the past few days it's been announced that there is a vulnerability
in many "fax machines" (more accurately, all-in-one printers with fax
capabilities). I've tracked down and downloaded a tarball, but have
found very little info about it. The contents of the tarball look like a
mix of a website and a python program with some C code and printer
drivers and other stuff thrown in. Should I start wading through all
that, or will there be an update coming out from Suse? I've got an HP
OfficeJet, if that plays a role.

We have not looked into it as it seemed specific to HP Printers.

What
https://research.checkpoint.com/sending-fax-back-to-the-dark-ages/
describes seems to be vulnerabilities in HP printer implementation of
libjpeg.

This is software we do not ship (its not opensource), so SUSE is not
affected.

is hplip affected?

ships with Leap...

Cheers
MH

Ciao, Marcus

--
Mathias Homann
Senior Systems Engineer, IT Consultant. IT Trainer