Re: [opensuse] Firefox: is this a possible security problem?
On 2018-08-15 11:23, Basil Chupin wrote:

Until today.

What occurred today is something which I did not expect on a Linux
system: Firefox *UPGRADED* *ITSELF* to version 62.0b17.

As I did in the past to download the latest version of FF, I clicked on
HELP and when the box-menu appeared there was the message, normally seen
on a Windows installation, "Restart Firefox  to <something>' and the
version number showing was 62.0b17.

This can only happen if FF has write permission on the directory you
installed it.

For example, if you install it under your {HOME}, or a system directory
and you run it as root. Or some other combination that gives it
permission. Check the permissions. However, you may wish this behaviour.
I would.

This doesn't happen normally on openSUSE because the feature is disabled
by the packager, I guess.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.