Re: [opensuse] how to add a group?
On Sun, 12 Aug 2018 21:29:28 +0200
Aaron Digulla <digulla@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

Am 06.08.2018 um 22:21 schrieb Dave Howorth:
I need to create a new group - 'plugdev' - and make my user a
member of the group (it's apparently necessary for android dev
tools).

On Unix systems, adding a user to a group doesn't change existing
processes. That's why id(1) doesn't show the new group right away.

To solve this, you need to log out or you need to start a new login
shell, for example by using "ssh localhost". Login shells create a new
user instance and attach it to itself and all children.

Actually, just starting a new shell using su user (not su - user)
was sufficient, so it doesn't need to be a login shell.

The second approach creates the odd situation that your user will be
in the group in some terminal windows but not in others.

Well yes, but that's fine.

Just log in again.

Definitely not! :)

Regards,