Re: [opensuse] Re: Question re why part of a magazine article does not print
On 6/8/18 8:57 pm, Carlos E. R. wrote:

On Monday, 2018-08-06 at 15:31 +1000, Basil Chupin wrote:

On 05/08/18 16:55, jdd@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Le 05/08/2018 à 07:49, Basil Chupin a écrit :

in may be in length.  If Screengrab can do it why can't Spectacle do
same?

because a *screen* capture do what is said, capture the screen. How
can it know what is there out? spectacle now nothing about Firefox

Now, I know nothing about how these things work but it seems to me that
a screengrab program must look for some marker which "tells" it where
the 'screen' to capture begins and where it ends. Right? Or put another
way, the program looks for the marker showing the beginning of a "file"
(SOF) and the end of file (EOF) and captures what is between the SOF and
the EOF.

To me, something tells Spectacle to consider the EOF to be the last
pixel of the displayed screen, while Screengrab! actually looks for the
EOF of, say, an article when one selects the 'Complete Page' option.

No, Spectacle does not look for the end. It only sees what is displayed in the display, nothing more. It simply reads the graphic card memory, or the X representation of the same.

I am trying hard to understand this, but surely the complete "page" is stored in the gpu memory or the X representation of it, as you put it, because the invisible part, which is not visible on the screen, is instantly displayed when you either hit the 'down' key or use the scroll wheel on the mouse?

What is beyond the display is only known to each application. Spectacle does not have permission to read each application own memory,

Then give it "permission" to do so.

even if it knew how to interpret it.

And to me, the description of what each of the "Capture Mode" (here:
https://docs.kde.org/stable5/en/kdegraphics/spectacle/using.html#idm46336202854880
) means may just as well been been written in Aramaic :-).

The Full Screen (All Monitors)

The Current Screen

The Active Window

The Window Under Cursor

The Rectangular Region option allows you to select a rectangular region of your desktop with your mouse

They seem pretty obvious to me :-?  I don't even need to read the descriptions.

OK, then please tell me what each is supposed to mean -- apart from the "The Current Screen" and "The Rectangular Region" which even I can understand :-).

BC

--
There comes a time in the affairs of a man when he has to take
the bull by the tail and face the situation.