[opensuse] Booting with an encrypted home
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2018 10:52:39 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

On one machine (Leap 42.3) with encrypted home, when it boots and I'm not there it waits forever at the password prompt (not using plymouth). As it acts as my home server, this is incovenient:

/etc/crypttab:

cr_home /dev/disk/by-id/ata-KINGSTON... none none

/etc/fstab:

/dev/mapper/cr_home /home xfs lazytime,exec,nofail 1 2

On another machine (a laptop wit 15.0) if I don't type the password fast enough it goes into emergency mode, prompting me to repair or pressing control-D. It doesn't even wait 3 minutes:

/etc/crypttab:

cr_sda8 /dev/sda8

/etc/fstab:

LABEL=Home /home xfs lazytime 0 1

Now, I would like to change things. I would prefer the first machine to boot anyway after, say, 5 minutes. And the same for the laptop. Another option would be to have the laptop wait forever.

The rationale for the first one, the server, is that I might ssh as root or as plain user with home defined to somewhere different than /home, and enter the encryption password remotely.

The rationale for the second one is that I boot it and I go look somewhere else; when I look again it is at the ^D prompt and I have to ctrl-alt-supr to retry. It is inconvenient, it waits too little time.

I don't know how to control these timings decissions.

- -- Cheers

Carlos E. R.