Re: [opensuse] no more mp4 (html5) reading on leap 42.3 browsers - MORE INFO
On 31/07/18 12:57, Basil Chupin wrote:
On 30/07/18 20:29, Carlos E. R. wrote:
On 2018-07-30 04:16, Basil Chupin wrote:
On 29/07/18 22:07, Carlos E. R. wrote:
On 07/29/2018 08:22 AM, jdd@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Le 28/07/2018 à 18:51, Carlos E. R. a écrit :

http://dodin.org/piwigo/picture.php?/142551-003_flames/category/7520

Plays fine here. FF 60.1.0esr  on Leap 42.3

odd (for me :-(). Most probably some plugin (?) update as it is the
same with new account and firefox nightly (and chromium)
On my 15.0 it loads and plays automatically. I hate that. I also hate
video loading before I hit "play", because sometimes I'm on a metered
Internet connection. Even more hateful when it happens on a mobile
phone.
You may recall that I raised this issue in opensuse-offtopic last month
(June) (one of my posts is dated 21 June).

The way I was advised to stop the video auto playing was to edit this
entry in about_config-

media.block-autoplay-until-in-foreground

and change it to read "false" (it originally reads as 'true'). I did
this and the videos no longer play auomatically.
The way I read it, "false" means do not block, ie, play immediately.

However, the other part of my angst about this "new way of how to annoy
readers" was that the videos would 'slide' their way into the bottom
R-H
of the screen -- and there was no way to get rid of the darn thing
except to "Close" it; and I couldn't find any Add-on which would stop
the videos 'sliding' into the bottm R-H of screen.
Right.

Several pages play that dirty trick. It is horrible on my smartphone
because the pig occupies an awful part of the tiny display.

Sometimes it is an add that pops up a video (that fortunately does not
play) but its black window floats at the bottom impeding me reading the
page.

Well, there IS a solution for this nuisance invented by some nerd
developer: Firefox v 61.0.1. I don't know what was changed in FF
v61.0.1
but those videos no longer find their way into the bottom R-H of
screen!
Oh :-)

FF 61.0.1 is installed in (latest) Tumbleweed but not available for
Leap
15 so I had to download it and install it manually in Leap 15. (It
would
be very nice if FF 61.0.1 was to become available for Leap 15.)
I think there is an extra repo, testing or something. :-?

I will include here a response to what Patrick wrote in the msg
following the one I am now responding to.

To begin, I have to take back what I wrote re the solution to the
videos 'sliding' to the bottom R-H of screen: installing Firefox
61.0.1 does NOT solve the annoyance :-(.

My "Eureka!" was based on the result I am getting on my laptop where I
have both Leap 15 and Tumbleweed installed and where I do all my
testing before I apply whtever-changes to my Desktop. However, when I
did same on the Desktop and checked FF's behaviour in (latest)
Tumbleweed the video PITA still occurs :-(.

So there is something existing on the laptop which stops the video
annoyance but which is not present on the Desktop. Just off the top of
my head, it is possible that it may have something to do with the
nVidia driver (currently 390.77 for the FX1060 gpu I have) which is
installed on Desktop but the laptop has a nvidia optimus gizmos and
uses different driver.

@Patrick.

The item 'media.autoplay.enabled' is not a new one: it is also present
in FF 60.1.0esr in Leap 15.0 and so it doesn't change anything re the
video annoyance.

So, Carlos et al, it's back to the drawing board re the video sliding
to the bottom of the screen but at least it now no longer auto-plays.

And, BTW, I did try running Firefox as a new user (firefox -P) -- no
difference.

BC

I came across a discussion re the "sliding video player" annoyance and
while one person provided a script to be added to one of the FF Add-ons
(but this also meant having to add names to that script of each website
where you struck this problem), the easiest way is to simply prevent
javascript on the website by using NoScript.

This is exactly what I found when using dailymail.co.uk -- setting this
site as 'Untrusted' stopped the video sliding to the bottom r-h of screen.

However, there are side-effects of activating this setting (eg, you lose
the Comments at the end of any article) so it is up to you to see
whether you want to use this setting in NoScript.

BC

--
There comes a time in the affairs of a man when he has to take
the bull by the tail and face the situation.