Re: [opensuse] Different UID's
  • From: Andrew Colvin <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2018 11:09:59 +0100
On Friday, 29 June 2018 09:12:07 BST David C. Rankin wrote:
On 06/28/2018 01:43 PM, John Andersen wrote:
The problem is bigger than just Opensuse. Not everybody is using the same
Distro.
Being distro-defined is fine -- as long as the distro actually defines the
UID/GID for core services. I expect to remap when moving between *distros*.
I don't expect to have to remap moving between Leap 15 *installs*.

It really seems like needless self-inflicted wound.
Agreed and painful and one slip and the whole server gets screwed re-id-ing
everything. I know I did it. Also makes my pxe build auto script more
complex. I cant install the software as part of the autoyast - I have to
control it and create the groups/users in the post install and then install
the software.

The other option is to move all the UIDs and GIDs from local to LDAP...
Really not happy with that or set up NIS. Corosync, shared drives, gluster
all have issues if you do not fix uid/gids