Re: [opensuse] Different UID's
  • From: Andrew Colvin <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2018 21:54:21 +0100
On Wednesday, 27 June 2018 17:16:17 BST Carlos E. R. wrote:

User UID/GIDs are not necessarily semi-random, they generally start at
1000 on a first-come, first-served basis (some distros start the user
range at 500).

While the system UID/GIDs are distro/implementation defined to some extent
-- they should always be consistent within a distribution between
releases -- otherwise, that would break configs and applications.
Requiring no end of user-interaction required to re-map the system
UID/GID's to work with existing data on each new update.

No, they are not consistent at all:

Worse than that when I created two cluster nodes on tumbleweed my qemu/
libvirt/kvm user uid and gid diddnt match across servers. It seems it is
dependent on install order of software. I had groups and users defined on one
server with specific uid/gid that didnt match on the users/groups on the other
server with with same uids/gids