Re: [opensuse] Cups compatibility
Hi,

mh, maybe i misunderstand you, but normally cups find out
what is send to them, and will convert it automatically to ps, if your ppd
file is correct and your /etc/cups/printers.conf also.

i checked my ppd old and new, i have only changed a little to get
rid of some warning messages.
and, i changed ps version from 2 to 3 inside ppd (but one of my 2 printers is
not able to understand 3) but with 3 this ps2 printer prints better (or at all,
i do not
remember) for sure, this printer is not able to understand 3, but maybe
cups makes some other converts so that it worked fine.
(to get these old machines printing has cost me several nights.... for the
newer cups,
before it was working out of the box)

==========

here are some parats for one printer of my 2 printers.conf files, old,
and new, (for a postscript only printer)
as you can see, you must change some settings to get it to print with new
cups versions.
see especially the "Filter" and "DeviceURI" line.

# Printer configuration file for CUPS v1.4.6
# DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE WHEN CUPSD IS RUNNING
<Printer qms_6100_oben>
Info QMS magicolor 6100
MakeModel QMS magicolor 6100
DeviceURI socket://192.168.0.11:35
State Idle
StateTime 1530034931
Type 8401100
Filter application/vnd.cups-raw 0 -
Filter application/vnd.cups-command 0 commandtops
Filter application/vnd.cups-postscript 0 -
Accepting Yes
Shared Yes
JobSheets none none
QuotaPeriod 0
PageLimit 0
KLimit 0
OpPolicy default
ErrorPolicy stop-printer
Attribute marker-colors none,\#00FFFF,#FF00FF,#FFFF00,#000000
Attribute marker-levels -1,-1,-1,-1,-1
Attribute marker-names ,,,,
Attribute marker-types toner,toner,toner,toner,fuserOil
Attribute marker-change-time 1530034931
</Printer>

# Printer configuration file for CUPS v2.3b4
# DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE WHEN CUPSD IS RUNNING
<DefaultPrinter qms_6100_oben>
PrinterId 4
UUID urn:uuid:88d769c9-d013-3c4f-7560-c690bd82a911
Info QMS magicolor 6110
MakeModel magicolor 6110
DeviceURI socket://192.168.0.11:35/?version=1.1
State Idle
StateTime 1530007972
ConfigTime 1502986825
Type 8401100
Accepting Yes
Shared No
JobSheets none none
QuotaPeriod 0
PageLimit 0
KLimit 0
OpPolicy default
ErrorPolicy stop-printer
Attribute marker-colors none,\#00FFFF,#FF00FF,#FFFF00,#000000
Attribute marker-levels -1,-1,-1,-1,-1
Attribute marker-names ,,,,
Attribute marker-types toner,toner,toner,toner,fuser-oil
Attribute marker-change-time 1530007972
</DefaultPrinter>

hope this helps you.

simoN