Re: [opensuse] CANBus experience
On Tue, Jun 26, 2018 at 12:58 PM, Dave Howorth <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

No experience, sorry, but a vague interest. A good source of info seems
to be https://elinux.org/CAN_Bus but it doesn't mention MobilEye, which
is not encouraging, and likewise
https://www.mobileye.com/our-technology/ doesn't mention CAN Bus. But

The MobilEye is CANBus. That's how it finds out about the state of the
vehicle (e.g., is the turn indicator on? What's the speed? How to
control the cruise control, etc). And they add their information on
the bus. They state that one should use the Cable A interface on the
CANBus. Whatever that is. I believe it is the physical connectors. I
think there is a Cable B interface as well.

http://docs.polysync.io/sensors/mobileye-560/ does claim "The ECUs CAN
network needs to be configured to use one of the two compatible CAN
interfaces: Kvaser’s linuxcan or socketcan." So perhaps there's some
hope.

There seems to be a choice of a character-based and a socket-based
interface. I am guessing that this is not so much a matter of the card
itself but of the driver that access the card.

I wonder what this statement at
http://docs.polysync.io/articles/configuration/runtime-node-configuration/configure-can-channels/
implies:

"All nodes on a given host must use either linuxcan or all nodes must
use socketcan drivers to communicate with CAN interface hardware."

I would imagine that the vehicle is also on the CANBus. How is that
communicating?

I think all will become clear when I get the actual hardware. Perhaps
I just need to choose a card to get going.

--
Roger Oberholtzer