Re: [opensuse] Attempting to boot Windows 10 from an external disk
On 2018-06-25 13:37, Andrei Borzenkov wrote:
On Mon, Jun 25, 2018 at 2:16 PM, Carlos E. R.
<robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

I got a small Lenovo Yoga 300-11IBR laptop, that came with Windows 10
installed on a rotating rust 500GB hard disk. After two days of playing
with it, I removed the original internal hard disk and replaced it with
a 250 GB SSD and installed openSUSE 15.0 on it, which is working fine.

The original hard disk I placed on an USB 3 enclosure for extra storage,
and possibly to boot Windows if needed.

Alas, W10 does not boot. It tries to, I see the rotating dots patterns
characteristic of Windows, then it stops and boots Linux instead. I
don't think it is a license issue, it would say so.

Start with making sure Windows boots directly from firmware. This
likely involves changing drivers for boot device and is better
discussed on dedicated Windows forums.

Ay, you mean that perhaps it doesn't support the enclosure USB chips.
Oh :-(

I have no idea how to test that. The windows side doesn't boot, so I can
not add any driver.

I was thinking of telling grub to fake swaping the disk :-?

I might install it fresh instead, if the license keeps.

About Windows forums, anyone in particular?

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.