Re: [opensuse] Network manager does not restore same connection
On 2018-06-24 14:35, Per Jessen wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:

On 2018-06-24 14:11, Per Jessen wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:

On 2018-06-24 12:54, James Knott wrote:
On 06/24/2018 06:51 AM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
On that place, only authorized machines got an IP.

That's easy enough to do based on MAC address.  With some DHCP
servers you can create a list of MACs to allow or deny.

I know, but it was way more complex than that.

As I said, the machines had to be configured in Bios to boot only
from network, never from disk. They loaded some code, and this did
the auth and allowed Windows to boot properly.

I know because there was some problem, IT was very slow coming, so
we attempted recovery, and set computer to boot stand alone. It
booted to windows, no network, and no domain. The IT chap finally
came and changed the bios to boot from network and booted. He told
me the name of the protocol but that was years ago and I have
forgotten.

dhcp/bootp + PXE + tftp. All very ancient stuff :-)

Yes, I know about those, but not as a very paranoid security measure.
It was a windows only thing.

The code that was downloaded from network for booting verified the
authenticity of the computer before allowing it to boot and connect to
the network.

Still, dhcp/bootp + PXE + tftp. Once you're executing under PXE, what
you download can do whatever you want. That is the whole idea.

I know, but it wasn't exactly that. It had an entry in the bios I had
never seen. Maybe I took notes, which are lost, but no photograph, I did
not have a digital camera and my phone was to simple.

Some kind of custom serialization of the hardware, perhaps.

Maybe this: <https://militarycac.com/lps.htm>

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.