Re: [opensuse] Network manager does not restore same connection
On 06/23/2018 02:55 PM, Per Jessen wrote:
Isn't that a routing thing

What do you think Linux can do?

Here's what "ip route show" displays on my ThinkPad:

 ip route show
default via 172.16.0.1 dev eth0 proto dhcp metric 100
default via 172.16.0.1 dev wlan0 proto dhcp metric 600
172.16.0.0/24 dev eth0 proto kernel scope link src 172.16.0.42 metric 100
172.16.0.0/24 dev wlan0 proto kernel scope link src 172.16.0.40 metric 600

So, Linux is routing over the preferred interface, based on the metric.

This results in a nice feature for Linux that doesn't work in Windows.
When connected to both WiFi and Ethernet, you need different addresses
for each interface.  With Linux, with both connected, or WiFi alone, I
can use only the WiFi address, when accessing my notebook computer.  I
don't even have to think of the Ethernet host name or IP address.  The
traffic to the notebook will travel over the WiFi connection, but the
return traffic is via Ethernet.  Linux sorts it out.  With Windows, if
connected via Ethernet and WiFi, I must use the address for the Ethernet
connection, as using the WiFi address will fail.  I can only use the
WiFi address if Ethernet is not connected.  This means I have to use 2
different host names or IP addresses, depending on whether the Ethernet
cable is connected.