Re: [opensuse] Network manager does not restore same connection
On 06/23/2018 12:24 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
I suddenly remembered. It is possible to find out if the computer is in
the same cable network by interrogating the network device at the other
end for its MAC. As they are (in theory) world unique, if it is the same
MAC as it was, the laptop has not moved. I believe it is possible to do
this before activating tcpip.

You can't count on MAC addresses being unique any more, with MAC
spoofing and cheap manufacturers that reuse MAC addresses.  However, a
MAC address does not have to be globally unique with IP.  It only has to
be unique on the local link.