Re: [opensuse] Network manager does not restore same connection
On 2018-06-23 07:31, David C. Rankin wrote:
On 06/22/2018 04:44 AM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
I'm going to suggest that was intentional.
People hibernate (and/or suspend)machines mostly to travel, home to work,
on the road, etc.
Expecting the same connection to be available, and preferred upon resume
seems a corner case
rather than the normal case.
The IP set (manually or via DHCP) should never be trusted upon a resume.
You may have moved
from one network to another.
That is debatable. Many people use a laptop at home instead of a desktop
machine, and the laptop is sitting permanently on a table in the sitting
room, occasionally going somewhere. And it is normal to hibernate
machines when not in use, some do so automatically after a period of not
being used.

It is perfectly valid to verify if the conditions before are still valid
after, and if they are, restore the connections, and if not, find new ones.

I tend to agree with Carlos here. If I put my laptop to sleep at home, I
expect that it will come back up with the same connection it went to sleep
with. I have multiple adapters configured as well. You don't see windows going
to sleep connected to Wi-fi and then awaking connected to a non-plugged in
wired connection...

I suddenly remembered. It is possible to find out if the computer is in
the same cable network by interrogating the network device at the other
end for its MAC. As they are (in theory) world unique, if it is the same
MAC as it was, the laptop has not moved. I believe it is possible to do
this before activating tcpip.

As for WiFI, if it is the same SSID available, use if. If in doubt,
check its MAC...

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.