Re: [opensuse] Limiting the battery charge on a laptop permanently plugged on
On 2018-06-18 23:53, Carlos E. R. wrote:
On 2018-06-18 16:48, Greg Freemyer wrote:
Ah:

+++---------------
Do charge thresholds work even when Linux/TLP is not running?

Yes. The charging process is not controlled by software, but by
hardware. TLP just writes the thresholds to the hardware registers (via
tp-smapi or tpacpi-bat). Once stored in the hardware the charge
thresholds stay effective permanently. See below for removal.
---------------++-

In that case, as a workaround boot to Windows anytime you need to set
it to full charge or back to 60%.

Not the best solution, but not too bad.

I removed the original hard disk, a 500GB rust unit, and replaced with a
250GB SSD with only Linux installed.

I bought an external empty USB3 in which to place the original disk; I
hope Windows can boot from it.

Well, battery limits change do not work on Linux:

Legolas:~ # tlp chargeonce
Error: ThinkPad battery features not available.
Legolas:~ #

I tried to boot Windows from the external USB disk; I saw the waiting
circle that windows displays when loading, then it went black and Linux
started booting instead. I'll try another day when Linux is not
hibernated. I also have to add an entry to grub2.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.