Re: [opensuse] zypper/yast vs. other package managers (was: Philosophical question?)
On 2018-06-18 14:10, Liam Proven wrote:
On 16/06/18 06:55, Rodney Baker wrote:
More than once I've wished that apt was available on openSuSE, but by the
same
token I've also wished that YaST was available on Debian. On balance, I'd
miss
YaST more than I miss apt. :)

Yes, I'd agree with that.

OTOH there are other considerations -- e.g. recently I sold an old
laptop of mine to a friend. I wiped it and reinstalled it for him,
naturally, with openSUSE.

I tried GeckoLinux Cinnamon -- it wouldn't even boot the installer.

I tried openSUSE with Cinnamon. It worked but didn't build a complete
graphical OS -- no graphical log in, for instance.

So I did it again with XFCE. This worked.

But I had to manually enable NetworkManager, manually install some
extras, and the machine's multimedia keys (browser, mail, play, stop,
forwards, backwards) didn't work. Nor did its physical volume control.

A week later, it died on him. He reinstalled with Ubuntu 16.04 and tells
me it all worked flawlessly, media keys, volume, everything -- as it had
done for me before.

These may seem like small details but they are the sort of things that
swing a distro choice... and once someone has chosen something, getting
them to change their mind is harder...

I just installed a laptop with Leap 15.0 this weekend, design made on
2016 («Lenovo Yoga 300-11IBR», 11.6"). Everything seems to work out of
the box, even the touch screen.

Volume keys work. Brightness keys work. Other keys I have not tried,
those that would send video to an external display. The edge volume key
works. The edge key to stop rotation produces "o" in the terminal.

I have not yet tried wifi or BT, but I know that NM detected the wifi
SSIDs around. BT doesn't have a GUI in XFCE, AFAIK.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.