Re: [opensuse] zypper/yast vs. other package managers (was: Philosophical question?)
On 2018-06-17 02:29, Rodney Baker wrote:
On 2018-06-16 06:55, Rodney Baker wrote:
Apt also has another huge advantage when one is managing multiple systems
that don't have direct access to the internet - apt-cacher. This allows
me to have only one machine that has permissions to get to the internet,
and it proxies and caches requests for clients on the internal network
(without needing to maintain a local repository mirror). Even better -
apt-cacher-ng now caches for zypper/yum as well, so I can now use my
Pine64 running debian (at home) or the debian VM (at work) to proxy and
cache updates for both openSuSE and debian/raspbian clients.

That's a feature that I have missed on openSUSE for ages. Seems nobody
wants to create it.

I know. :( But, there is an answer now. Set up a Raspberry Pi 3 (or better
still, 3 B+) running raspbian and an external drive (for storage), install
and
configure apt-cacher-ng (not too much, if anything, to change from the
defaults anyway), and modify your repo url's to point to the internal irl or
IP address of the Pi:

So, http://download.opensuse.org/tumbleweed becomes http://<Pi-hostname:3142/
download.opensuse.org/tumbleweed.

Works great. :)

Debian clients use the apt proxy config directive to achieve the same result.

Oh :-o

Shame we don't have that.

--
Cheers / Saludos,