Re: [opensuse] Philosophical question?
On 16/06/18 15:11, Rodney Baker wrote:
On Friday, 15 June 2018 1:54:05 ACST Per Jessen wrote:
Darryl Gregorash wrote:
On 2018-06-14 08:07 AM, jdd@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Le 14/06/2018 � 15:29, Stevens a �crit :
I mean, what is its main claim to fame?
for me it's the config tools (YaST, but others also) being available
in any variations, that is bare bone server, desktop...

and of course the fact that it's easy to install, easy to manage...

use SuSE since 6.x (20 years?) and tested most other main ones

jdd
I hate to sound "me too", but these are also the reasons why I have
stayed with SuSE over the years. I went looking for a Linux distro
almost the same day IBM announced it was discontinuing OS/2 (around
2001/2002, iirc, but maybe earlier), which I had been running since
version 2.0.
After a quick comparison of features, I rather quickly settled on SuSE
6.3, and I have been running SuSELinux/openSUSE ever since.
I took a little longer to give up on OS/2, 2004/2005, otherwise very
much the same story. I also complete agree with what jdd wrote, as
well as what Mikhail wrote about KDE.

claim to fame? dunno, for me SuSE Linux was my first Linux distro. I
never had much reason to look elsewhere.
The hardest thing for me, moving from OS/2 to Linux, was missing the
"Workplace Shell" desktop environment. That had some really cool features that
no Linux distro has ever matched. I ran OS/2 from version 2.0 right through to
the last days of Warp 4, before it became eComStation (which is still
available, btw, but not exactly cheap).

$110 for a 3-year sub. is not THAT bad, is it?

(I still have the 3 1/2" floppies for the last version OS/2 I used :-).)

Apart from that, I started with FC4, tried Mandrake and a couple of others,
but settled on openSuSE around 9.2 and haven't looked back. I've thought about
switching to debian (my Raspberry Pi's all run Raspbian, and I have a couple
of Debian VM's running in the virtual environment at work), but I can't leave
YaST, and openSuSE is still the best distro for KDE.

BC

--
"..The times have been
That, when the brains were out,