Re: [opensuse] zypper/yast vs. other package managers (was: Philosophical question?)
On Saturday, 16 June 2018 0:39:42 ACST Liam Proven wrote:
On 15/06/18 16:51, Felix Miata wrote:
I find using apt/deb yum/dnf incomprehensibly difficult compared to
zypper. e.g.
[...]

I think this boils down to personal preference and familiarity. When I
switched away from SUSE, Zypper didn't exist yet. I am not yet at home
with it.

[...]

I agree with that last comment. I use both zypper and apt on different
systems, and I find apt much better at dealing with dependencies and
identifying and removing unused packages, while zypper (or, rather, the
structure of openSuSE repositories) makes it easier to install back-ported or
bleeding-edge packages.

Apt also has another huge advantage when one is managing multiple systems that
don't have direct access to the internet - apt-cacher. This allows me to have
only one machine that has permissions to get to the internet, and it proxies
and caches requests for clients on the internal network (without needing to
maintain a local repository mirror). Even better - apt-cacher-ng now caches
for zypper/yum as well, so I can now use my Pine64 running debian (at home) or
the debian VM (at work) to proxy and cache updates for both openSuSE and
debian/raspbian clients.

[...]
When I remove stuff, I get a screenful of errors about X will break Y, Y
will break Z and Z will break X. That is cyclical: remove the lot. Don't
hassle the user. Decide.
[...]

A few times using apt-get remove (on raspbian), I've been warned that "what
you're about to do will result in a completely broken system - are you sure
you really want to do that?" (Not those exact words, but close). If I say yes,
I wear the consequences. That's the only time it nags - otherwise, it says,
"OK, I'll remove that, and I'm going to remove all these as well - OK?" (or
words to that effect). Perfect - that's exactly what I want it to do.

Apt-get autoremove is even better - it will remove all packages that are no
longer required (although you do need to be careful with that - it will remove
anything that is not a forward or backwards dependency for another package,
which means it *may* remove something you actually want. Had it happen to me
(only once, mind you) just a few weeks ago.

Apt-show-versions is also really useful to see exactly what is installed (and
what versions, as the name implies).

More than once I've wished that apt was available on openSuSE, but by the same
token I've also wished that YaST was available on Debian. On balance, I'd miss
YaST more than I miss apt. :)

Rodney Baker VK5ZTV
rodney.baker@xxxxxxxxxxxx
CCNA #CSCO12880208