Re: [opensuse] Leap 15 and rhythmbox
Hello,

On Fri, 15 Jun 2018, Carlos E. R. wrote:
But AFAIK startx does not support policykit and that is a problem. There
are daemons that are not started, things that fail.

So effin' what? That's what ~/.xinitrc/ and ~/.xsession are for. And
their defaults in /etc/X11. And both (were) setup such, that a
xsession (started via a displaymanager) called your xinitrc.

$ grep -e xinitrc ~/.xsession
/home/dh/.xsession:if test -f $HOME/.xinitrc ; then
/home/dh/.xsession: exec ssh-agent $HOME/.xinitrc
/home/dh/.xsession: exec /bin/bash $HOME/.xinitrc

/etc/X11$ grep -F -ri -e xinitrc xdm/Xsession xinit/xserverrc
xdm/Xsession:. /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.common
xdm/Xsession:xinitrc=$HOME/.xinitrc
xdm/Xsession:sysinit=$XINITDIR/xinitrc
xdm/Xsession:# system xsession or xinitrc script if they exist, but
xdm/Xsession:elif test -f $xinitrc ; then
xdm/Xsession: exec_login "$xinitrc" "$@"

I don't have a 15.0 handy, but those are all "simple" shell-scripts.

There seems (again) to be quite a confusion about what's going while
booting and starting X.

BIOS/EFI -> grub/lilo -> kernel -> init (be it sysv or systemd or whatnot)
-> ...

a) console-runlevel:
.. -> login -> shell -> startx -> xinit -> X (w/session) -> Windowmanager/DE

b) graphical-runlevel:
.. -> X -> displaymanager -> X (w/session) -> Windowmanager/DE

Which is why SUSE made ~/.xsession and /etc/X11/xdm/Xsession run
/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc* and ~/.xinitrc, so that stuff could be put
into just one place, similar to /etc/profile* and ~/.profile sourced by
all posix-shells.

DO NOT CONFUSE A DISPLAYMANAGER (xdm, tdm, gdk, kdm, sddm, lightdm...)
WITH A WIDOWMANAGER (twm, fvwm, aewm, openbox, fluxbox, WindowMaker,
kwin, ...)

A displaymanager is just a fancy graphical shell for login and
choosing your windowmanager.

don says he gets this error:

Unable to grab media player keys:
GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.Dbus.Error.ServiceUnKnown: The name
org.gnome.SettingsDaemon was not provided by any .service files

rhythmbox is a gnome app, and gnome relies on having a proper display
manager doing certain jobs, and startx certainly doesn't do them out of
the box.

So, as I wrote, Don has to install gsettings and dbus and have it
started. In what way ever. I'm used to stuff getting started
automatically, esp. even if I don't want it (e.g. gconfd-2)...

But there's nothing emulating what gdm does:

$ rpm -ql gnome-settings-daemon
/etc/xdg/autostart/gnome-fallback-mount-helper.desktop
/etc/xdg/autostart/gnome-settings-daemon.desktop

Too bad I deleted that autostart, I hate those. But I guess that
/usr/lib/gnome-settings-daemon-3.0/gnome-settings-daemon is somehow
started. See the 'Exec=' line in that .desktop file. Put that into
your ~/.xinitrc or whatever your WM (fvwm) provides as another
autostart mechanism and *tada* dbus should find and reach the
org.gnome.SettingsDaemon dbus interface.

-dnh

--
We have reason to believe that man first walked upright to free his
hands for masturbation. -- Lily Tomlin