Re: [opensuse] zypper/yast vs. other package managers (was: Philosophical question?)
On 06/15/2018 01:55 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
For instance, I set Packman to have a lower priority number, which can
be anything, for example, 98.

Basically it means: if there is a package that is both offered in
default OSS repo and packman, choose the packman one.

Priority became so obtuse, that pacman goes out of its way to never
have a package of the same exact name as the OSS one. It will always
have different appendages, usually higher, so once you select the pacman
one you will never fall back accidentally. You have to try.

Then there is this whole concept of Vendor Changes, and allowing or disallowing
those.

Not to mention that whole bit about a HIGHER Priority being a LOWER number.
Gaaaa!

I've abandoned the use of priorities. I prevent Vendor Changes except when I
EXPLICITLY
request it. At all other times Allow Vendor Changes option in YAST is switched
OFF.

AND YES, I use YAST where I can see exactly what is going to be done, without
dry runs, and wading through a man page 4 reams long.

Things like Zypper with 4000 options, some totally surprising and UN-intuitive,
really
aren't easy for anything except repetitive by-rote tasks. I avoid it where ever
possible.

I really suck at typing in long strings of fuzzy numbers and letters to specify
package.