Re: [opensuse] Leap 15 and rhythmbox
On 2018-06-16 02:42, don fisher wrote:
On 2018-06-15 11:42, Felix Miata wrote:

Common, startx is deprecated since a decade perhaps. Has it uses,
yes, but
running a desktop and modern apps is not one of them.

AFAIK, without startx I couldn't even do multiple Xorg instances
using preset
exported user-specific XORGCONFIG configuration at session outset.

Yes, possibly.

However, I can start a second session (different user) from XFCE menu
just fine. I have not tried three in years.

But AFAIK startx does not support policykit and that is a problem. There
are daemons that are not started, things that fail.

don says he gets this error:

Unable to grab media player keys:
GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.Dbus.Error.ServiceUnKnown: The name
org.gnome.SettingsDaemon was not provided by any .service files

rhythmbox is a gnome app, and gnome relies on having a proper display
manager doing certain jobs, and startx certainly doesn't do them out of
the box.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have looked at man pages for .xinitrc,
xinit, startx and more. None of these suggest that they are depreciated.

Of course they won't say.

(deprecated, not depreciated. Different verb)

deprecated
(computing) Obsolescent; said of a construct in a computing language
considered old, and planned to be phased out, but still available for use.

depreciated

simple past tense and past participle of depreciate; reduced in
value over time.

2001: Java™ 2 SDK, Standard Edition Documentation, Version 1.3.1 --
"Deprecated" and "depreciated" are not same. "Depreciated" is a
financial term that means "lowered value". Although the meanings are
similar, classes and methods are deprecated, not depreciated. [2]

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/depreciated
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/deprecated

fvwm2 is listed in Yast2 with no suggestion that it has been
depreciated, or is not operational. I read the Change Log and did not
see anything that indicated fvwm2 was depreciated or that it
would/should not work. So what should my path be? If fvwm2 is a
maintained package, shouldn't it be so and is a bug report appropriate?

You can take my word for it, or read back thousands of emails and find
references about it. Startx is deprecated, doesn't get full support,
lacks modern needed features, like supporting policykit, so something break.

Try "rhythmbox" started from gnome or xfce in runlevel 5. Plain simple.

Then open a bugzilla and state the results, that it works here and not
there, and wait patiently for a solution (that is not using startx).

If it doesn't run in gnome in runlevel 5, then report that in bugzilla.
Worst problem.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.