Re: [opensuse] Re: opensuse mailing list site ridiculousness
On 2018-06-16 02:44, Knurpht@openSUSE wrote:
On 2018-06-16 00:29, Felix Miata wrote:
Felix Miata wrote:
I don't get it either. Scripts and pictures aren't necessary parts of
viewing archived mailing list posts.

Per has explained the real reason why old browsers are not supported and
encryption is enforced.

"Older TLS versions have long been deprecated and now disabled" is an
oversimplification that doesn't explain why everyone must only use modern

bloated browsers to read static pages:
You missed what he said about google ;-)

Google wants encryption. Google will not index plain sites.

---
So if everyone uses plain text on their web
sites, then google won't index anything? That sounds a bit
absurd. Do you have a source for that -- that using
plaintext will keep your site from appearing in google?

That just seems too simple of a way to keep
google out of anything.

What anybody elses think about it being absurd to
encode text that is static and freely available is irrelevant :-P

---
If many people are concerned about google & privacy,
it seems like a great way to keep google out.

The only thing I noticed was that it became
impossible to cache things and every call to anything had to go
out live. I added my own roots @ home and installed them in
the client machines, so squid could start caching again.

My housemate's browsing on youtube went from
about 15-20 seconds/page to about 1 second/page. He was very
happy.

So tell me why everyone is kissing google's behind
again?
Linda, please read Per's reply and the first bit of the thread. This isn't
about Google, or whatever, it's about someone with a 13.1 install complaining
about websites not working ( browser outdated ), and that lists.opensuse.org
could very well do without SSL ( to keep working with an outdated browser ).

One of the reasons that SSL is forced on most websites is that without this
it
would cause that Google ( most used, whether we like it or not ) and other
search engines wouldn't index the site. Plus, EU governments acticvely teach
their citizens *not* to trust http:// sites.

Only when money or privacy is involved, not for plain and public
information services. Anyway, I have not seen any such advice from my
government yet.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.