Re: [opensuse] opensuse mailing list site ridiculousness
  • From: "Knurpht@openSUSE" <knurpht@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2018 01:43:16 +0200
On 2018-06-16 00:29, Felix Miata wrote:
Felix Miata wrote:
I don't get it either. Scripts and pictures aren't necessary parts of
viewing archived mailing list posts.

Per has explained the real reason why old browsers are not supported and
encryption is enforced.

"Older TLS versions have long been deprecated and now disabled" is an
oversimplification that doesn't explain why everyone must only use modern

bloated browsers to read static pages:
You missed what he said about google ;-)

Google wants encryption. Google will not index plain sites. Ergo, use
encryption. From that follows use browsers that support the encryption
that google wants... What anybody elses think about it being absurd to
encode text that is static and freely available is irrelevant :-P

That's one good reason. Overhere we have public advertisements from the
Government telling us not to trust non-https sites. I know there's some other
EU countries that send out such warnings. IMHO any website/webinterface should
have https enabled.
My 2 cents: using an outdated browser on an outdated system should be a no go
for a linux user. Like a car owner expecting nothing to happen after 5 years
without maintenance.

--
Gertjan Lettink a.k.a. Knurpht
openSUSE Board Member