Re: [opensuse] Synaptics and RPM question
Anton Aylward composed on 2018-06-15 18:40 (UTC-0400):

There is also a link "Using APT on RPM-Based Systems"
It should lead to http://www.linux-mag.com/id/1476/
but it doesn't :-(
<quote>
Now, apt doesn’t actually install packages; instead, it calls rpm to do the
grunt work.
</quote>

Written 13 years ago.

I suppose of Zypper were actually a script it would as well.
But zypper uses "libzypp.so" as you might expect but also "librpm.so".
So yes, under the hood, it uses the innards of RPM rather than the CLI-level
RPM
as a script would.

Go check
# ldd $(which zypper)
yourself.

As I understand it Synaptics has a version written in Python.

# zypper info zypper-aptitude

I've never installed it. I'm not sure what exactly I'd need any .deb packages on
openSUSE for with the wealth of repos and package selections it offers.

On Debian before Stretch, before the prompts inducing to use apt instead of
apt-get, I probably used aptitude as much as I did apt-*, commonly to clean up
packages held back, and far more often than I tried to use Synaptics.

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/