Re: [opensuse] zypper/yast vs. other package managers (was: Philosophical question?)
On 2018-06-15 17:09, Liam Proven wrote:
On 15/06/18 16:51, Felix Miata wrote:

I find using apt/deb yum/dnf incomprehensibly difficult compared to zypper.
e.g.
[...]

I think this boils down to personal preference and familiarity. When I
switched away from SUSE, Zypper didn't exist yet. I am not yet at home
with it.

But all my supplementary repos are set at priority 99. There's no real
logical priority between them; apparently that is a user issue. I.e., do
it yourself. IMHO that's bad.

Just choose the priority...

I get nagged a lot about whether I want to "upgrade" a package to a
lower version number, because Zypper seems only to look at the 1st value
after the decimal point. IMHO that's bad.

I get asked a number of questions whenever I do a large upgrade -- is it
OK to do these supplementary packages? Are you sure you want to continue
*after* it's downloaded 500 packages over 15min. I get nagged about
VirtualBox packages every single time. I don't want this stuff. I don't
care. I want a "do it and don't ask again" option.

I get nagged about vendor changes. If it's newer, I want it to just
install it. Don't ask me. Do it.

Then enable vendor change. The default is "no", and for good reasons. I
want "no". Yes, there is a command line option to enable it.

I get told it won't install upgrades *because* of vendor changes. I
don't care. Just do it. No I do *not* want to go and edit a config file;
I expect a command to do that. No, manually instructing it to do each
one individually by copy-and-pasting a command is not a good alternative.

When I remove stuff, I get a screenful of errors about X will break Y, Y
will break Z and Z will break X. That is cyclical: remove the lot. Don't
hassle the user. Decide.

Remove the kernel. Just do it.
Borked system.

--