Re: [opensuse] Philosophical question?
  • From: "Knurpht@openSUSE" <knurpht@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2018 18:56:34 +0200
On 2018-06-14 08:07 AM, jdd@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Le 14/06/2018 à 15:29, Stevens a écrit :
I mean, what is its main claim to fame?

for me it's the config tools (YaST, but others also) being available
in any variations, that is bare bone server, desktop...

and of course the fact that it's easy to install, easy to manage...

use SuSE since 6.x (20 years?) and tested most other main ones

jdd

I hate to sound "me too", but these are also the reasons why I have
stayed with SuSE over the years. I went looking for a Linux distro
almost the same day IBM announced it was discontinuing OS/2 (around
2001/2002, iirc, but maybe earlier), which I had been running since
version 2.0.
After a quick comparison of features, I rather quickly settled on SuSE
6.3, and I have been running SuSELinux/openSUSE ever since.

I took a little longer to give up on OS/2, 2004/2005, otherwise very
much the same story. I also complete agree with what jdd wrote, as
well as what Mikhail wrote about KDE.

claim to fame? dunno, for me SuSE Linux was my first Linux distro. I
never had much reason to look elsewhere.
Same here. Started with 5.4 in 1998, left Windows in 2001, tried other
distros, but always next to S.u.S.E./SuSE/openSUSE. It's simply home. And not
only the best KDE implementation, GNOME as well. And I guess I ran all the
versions.

--
Gertjan Lettink a.k.a. Knurpht
openSUSE Board Member