Re: [opensuse] Philosophical question?
On 2018-06-14 08:07 AM, jdd@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Le 14/06/2018 à 15:29, Stevens a écrit :

I mean, what is its main claim to fame?

for me it's the config tools (YaST, but others also) being available
in any variations, that is bare bone server, desktop...

and of course the fact that it's easy to install, easy to manage...

use SuSE since 6.x (20 years?) and tested most other main ones

jdd

I hate to sound "me too", but these are also the reasons why I have
stayed with SuSE over the years. I went looking for a Linux distro
almost the same day IBM announced it was discontinuing OS/2 (around
2001/2002, iirc, but maybe earlier), which I had been running since
version 2.0.
After a quick comparison of features, I rather quickly settled on SuSE
6.3, and I have been running SuSELinux/openSUSE ever since.

Over the years, many things have changed, but one thing has remained
constant -- YaST. There are other configuration tools, of course, and
these are excellent -- but for me, YaST has always been the single
feature which sets SUSE apart from all the other Linux flavours out there.

I would be remiss if I failed to mention the great support from the
opensuse community -- developers/maintainers and end-users alike --
especially on this mailing list. Yes, at times the signal-to-noise ratio
becomes somewhat less than optimal, but a little patience takes care of
that. (And no, I am most definitely *not* trying, and do not wish, to
re-open the discussion in "that other thread" :D ).