Re: [opensuse] Philosophical question?
Hi,

Le jeudi 14 juin 2018 à 03:50:26, Knurpht@openSUSE a écrit :
Op donderdag 14 juni 2018 15:29:30 CEST schreef Stevens:
I have been sub'ed to this forum for many years. I'm not sure which was
my first opensuse version (I remember 10-something) but suffice it to
say that I have followed the trials and tribulations of the user
community here and I wonder what it is about opensuse that really sets
it apart from all the other distros out there.

I mean, what is its main claim to fame? The answer to that has changed
over the years but I wonder what it is now. Maybe someone here can make
a compelling case for the use of opensuse instead of any other linux
distro. If so, I would like to see it. What use case would causeus
opensuse to be selected? I suppose in order to answer that, one must be
fluent in the various linux dialects. I am not; I barely have enough
time to use this opensuse 13.1 and admin the adjacent webserver running
ubuntu 16.04lts.

As my version is somewhat dated ;-) I will be moving to something better
by year's end. Maybe 15.1, maybe something else. I really haven't had
time to research, which is why the original question.

Thanks, Fred
1. YaST and it's many modules. F.e. setting up a webserver through YaST's
http-server module is by far the easiest I've ever seen
2. openQA, which ( amongst other things ) does automated testing of human
actions, f.e. install, reboot, try whether Firefox starts.
3. The fact that openSUSE is not just a linux distro. We created a lot of
tools, like OBS, openQA, OSEM, Kiwi and so on, which are 100% FOSS and not
just openSUSE only
4. For Leap: a shared code base with SUSE's SLE, which brings enterprise
quality to the distro
5. For Tumbleweed; a rolling release with a completely new model: build
updates, generate a snapshot, test that in openQA, and only release the
snapshot after openQA reports it's OK to release it.

I do agree with all those points. That is I exactly the points I present at
FOSS events and when I meet old time openSUSE users, they totally agree with
it.
I would add the fact that openSUSE is a project that makes contibution easy,
even and particulary for non technical users which is something that may
count.

Cheers,

--
Sébastien 'sogal' POHER