Re: [opensuse] Take the problem to the developer ...
  • From: Richard Brown <RBrownCCB@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2018 14:14:30 +0200
On 13 June 2018 at 13:51, Anton Aylward <opensuse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 12/06/18 06:45 AM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
Once you are reasonably sure in this case that its not a local problem
the best approach is to contact the openSUSE maintainer through bugzilla
they can then determine if its an openSUSE or upstream issue, then if
your happy to you can create an upstream bug report if not its the
maintainers job to do it.

But how can a user know that "its not a local problem" if he doesn't
know himself? By asking on the mail list...

All in all I believe that there are many people like Carlos and Felix that are
smarted about openSuse than me.
And as far as a specific application goes, I'm sure the developer has the
definitive knowledge and has better things to do than answer my stupid
questions. Better to display my ignorance to Carlos who already knows about
it.

It's a bit like going into one of those heigh ceiling building, you know, the
sort that modern banks are based on, and thinking that by lighting a candle
you
can attract the attention of the Creator of The Universe, and, after insulting
her by addressing her as a male, asking her to help with your trivial problems
like your maths exam or how to get a date with the red-haired girl.

No, if you really want to engage her interest ask something sensible,
something
meaningful, like how to stop the decay of the proton.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Future_of_an_expanding_universe#Nucleons_start_to_decay

Like you say, take the problem to the developer ..

For people seeking a more 'casual' approach than filing bugs for
getting in touch with developers, I'd like to point out the following
command

osc maintainer -e $package

It will provide you with the email addresses of all of the maintainers
of a package

However, this is based on OBS permissions - which may not always be
accurate; some packages are mostly maintained by people who don't have
direct OBS permission, instead submitting everything via submit
requests.

Therefore a method I use more often/in conjunction with the above is

rpm -q --changelog $package | less

This will give me a good overview of not only who has been making
changes to a package, but what has changed.
This is normally a good help in helping understand what is going on
and often can help me solve my own issues.
If I see the same address responsible for most of the recent changes,
I will likely assume that person is the most active current maintainer
and contact them.

Both of these sets of info can be found via the build.opensuse.org
webui - either by looking at the "Users" tab of a package or by
opening the .changes file in a package. But the command-line method is
far faster.

Either way, people using these methods will have at least one email
address for someone to ask my questions of, quite often multiple
addresses (few of our packages are maintained by just one person).

Emailing those developers directly with your casual questions is far
more likely to be effective than asking in ANY mailing-list, even
developer heavy ones like -factory@.

And consider this - emailing such questions to -factory@ will disturb
ALL of our developers, most of which won't care for your problem or be
able to help, whereas this approach you know you're contacting people
who can.

Especially those "Why are things like this...?" questions which this
list likes to spend so much time on.
The only people who truly know why things are in our packages are the
people who did them - it's probably best to contact the, rather than
asking the whole Project and inviting speculation and pointless
commentary.

If the explanation is of particular interest to the whole community
then an FYI post to the list might be of great benefit..I'd certainly
love to see all of our openSUSE lists including more of that and less
open ended questions, uninformed commentary, and circular debate.

Hope this helps,

Rich