Re: [opensuse] Why and wherefore of mirrorbrain
On 11/06/18 03:54 AM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
Quick ping time doesn't mean much, unless it is very slow to respond.
The bandwidth is very important.

Oh yes, how well it can keep the pipeline filled and how fast you can consume
it.
As I said ... I'm paying for a channel many times faster than the best perceived
download speed I have experienced based on letting mirrorbrain select a site
for me.

While a 'ping' may tell you the electronic distance and the modified sort of
ping that is 'traceroute' you are quite right, Carlos, neither tells you about
bandwidth. It may be that a site in Israel give me, here in Canada, the best
bandwidth and the times I carry out my downloads of updates.

So, does mirrorbrain somehow figure out bandwidths? I'd love to know how!

There are many mirror sites. While pinging then to find 'distance' may be
tedious, it could be automated. And yes we know that electrical distance and
physical distance are not necessarily related.

But other than just hitting on one well performing site as Fraser_bell describes
is, well ... those of who know optimization theory recognise that this may just
be a local maxima and there are 'higher peaks' out there. But how to find them?

even if, as Fraser_Bell mentions, I let mirrorbrain select and note the local
optima, I still don't now why it selected that site at that time and another
poorly performing site at another time.