Re: [opensuse] Leap 15.0: updates missing from repository?
On 2018-06-11 22:52, Fraser_Bell wrote:
On 06/11/2018 12:24 AM, Per Jessen wrote:
Fraser_Bell wrote:
However, in North America, that is a "faulty" method, IMHO.
Not sure if that can be addressed easily in Mirrorbrain.

Probably not, but it is also a matter of not enough mirrors.  Canada has
just three mirrors - in Toronto, Halifax and Winnipeg.

Yes, that is the true problem, here.

I cannot afford it, or I would provide one.

Now, this is a curious thing. My ISP gives me 300 Mb/s, and is going to improve to 600. At this speed, it becomes possible for home users to become mirrors - except that of course, they are dynamic IPs and the ISP might not like it.

But I look at the Windows competition, and Windows 10 has a feature which is users becoming p2p-type update suppliers, for the local network or for Internet. The user can opt-out, but in theory it is an interesting idea.

Our rpms are PGP signed, so security is ensured.

If some summer project reuses some existing p2p protocol or invents a new one so that openSUSE users can become also "servers" of rpms, it could be a nice idea. Torrent, emule, I don't know. It would require some seeder or directory service.

No, it is beyond my knowledge to give more details about that idea :-)

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.