Re: [opensuse] Leap 15.0: updates missing from repository?
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2018 09:24:01 +0200
Fraser_Bell wrote:

Actually, the problem is that Mirrorbrain, in our implementation,
looks for a Mirror within the same country first, and chooses the
"fastest" one of those.

That algorithm, of course, works just fine on your continent, since
most of the countries there are a mere fraction the size of my own
Province, much less my Country.

However, in North America, that is a "faulty" method, IMHO.
Not sure if that can be addressed easily in Mirrorbrain.

Probably not, but it is also a matter of not enough mirrors. Canada has
just three mirrors - in Toronto, Halifax and Winnipeg.

What I would like to see is an easy "simple click" method in Yast to
pick a closer mirror or an alternate mirror when the default chosen
mirror has a problem or is otherwise unsuitable.
I would also love to see an additional easy flag or config in zypper
to allow choice of another mirror if the Mirrorbrain-chosen mirror is
not working well.

My current method is to manually test mirrors, then hard-code the
"best" mirror in my repos list.

That works just fine, but is a little more convoluted and is not an
easy thing for Linux or openSUSE newcomers to use.

Very true.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (21.3°C)